We have kept our fees as low as possible. Absa’s new pricing is aimed at alleviating pressure from further financial strain during these uncertain times. Notably, youth and student accounts are free, and the Absa Transact, Gold Value Bundle, Premium, and Private Banking will have no monthly increases, while still offering retrenchment, disability, and death benefits.
Most popular accounts
There’s a smarter way to open your account. Download it.
If you are a new customer, you can open this Cheque account within minutes by using our App. Download the Absa Banking App and click on “Open an Account”.
Lowest banking fees in South Africa*
We've heard you South Africa, from 1 March, we introduce our new fees for our Everyday banking accounts, providing R500 million in pricing relief to our valued customers.
*Absa Gold Value Bundle and Transact Account proven to be the most inexpensive accounts in their categories according to the 2021 Solidarity Report.
View all our accounts
Switching to Absa couldn’t be easier. Simply choose the bank account that suites your lifestyle, fill in the online application form and switch to Absa.
Open an Absa account
Once you have opened an account with us, you can switch your debit orders and your salary. All you need to do is:
Complete your online Debit Order and Salary Switching Request here.
It's that simple!
Once we receive your request, we will keep you updated on the progress. The next steps are:
- You will receive an SMS or email (based on your preferences) to let you know that we have received your request.
- We submit your request to each service provider and follow up with them until everything is switched. Here are companies that will not allow Absa to switch on your behalf; you can contact them to process your request.
- There are some service providers that need more information to switch - so within 48 hours we will send you an update on the status of this, and the next steps to follow to help you complete the switching process.
- Within 2 weeks after submitting your request you will receive confirmation of the deduction date for all successfully switched debit orders.
- If there are still any outstanding debit orders not switched, within 4 weeks, we will send you confirmation of the deduction date for all successfully switched debit orders.
- If there are any outstanding debit orders not switched within 6 weeks, we will contact you with an update and the next steps to be taken; but please don’t close your old account until all your debit orders and salary have been switched to ensure that your payments at these providers are always up to date.
How long does it take to complete the switching form?
- The online form takes a few minutes to fill in. Once you have completed the switching request, submit the form and we'll take care of the rest
Email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I track my switching request?
- You can track your request through this link or by calling 0860 100 372.
What is important to remember when completing the form?
- There are two options available:
- Salary switch, which requires you to fill in your employer’s information
- Debit order switch, which requires you to complete a list of your current debit orders
- Complete all your personal details and don’t forget to provide us with your contact details
- Don’t forget to add your Absa account details and the details of your previous bank account
- When filling in the details of your debit orders, make sure that all reference numbers are filled in accurately, otherwise we will not be able to find your debit order
How long does it take for the switch to be completed?
- Switching will take up to 6 weeks to complete, depending on the service providers you have debit orders with. We will however keep you updated on the progress
Does switching cost anything?
- No, switching is free!
Do I need my spouse’s consent to switch a debit order?
- No, you do not need your spouse’s consent to switch an Absa debit order. However, if the service provider needs more information they will contact you directly.
Do all service providers accept debit order or salary switching instructions from Absa?
- No. Some service providers will only switch on your direct instruction and will not accept switching instructions from Absa
- All employers will only switch on your direct instruction and will not accept switching instructions from Absa
- We will however help you initiate the process by providing you with switching letters to send to these service providers and employers
- See the list of all service providers, who do not accept Absa-initiated debit order or salary switching instructions
Will Absa be able to switch my internal stop orders and beneficiary payments?
- Unfortunately not, but you can have this done by either visiting your nearest Absa branch or on Absa Online
Can Absa change the date when a debit order is due?
- No, only you can change your debit order dates
When do I need to close my old account?
- You can close your old account after:
- you have confirmation that all your debit orders and salaries have been switched;
- your first run of debit orders has come off your new account; and
- your salary has been paid into your Absa account