PayShap is the new way to send and receive up to R3 000 via your Absa Banking App. You can now pay and be paid instantly using your ShapID (cellphone number) or bank account details. Plus, all payments are processed 24/7.
Why use PayShap?
- Instant: Payments reflect in your account instantly.
- Convenient: Make and receive payments using just a ShapID and bank account details.
- Safe: All payments are secure and safer than cash.
- Saves time: No more standing in ATM queues to get cash – digital payments are now quick and easy.
- As an Absa customer, you will only be able to use PayShap via your Banking App.
- You can only use your Absa-registered cellphone number, i.e. the number on your banking profile, to register for PayShap. If you change your cellphone number, remember to update it on your profile.
- Your ShapID is linked to your selected Absa account.
- PayShap payments can only be made to participating banks.
- If you select Absa as your primary ShapID, payments will be automatically deposited into your linked Absa account. You do not have to share your bank (Absa) with the sender.
1. Log in to your Absa Banking App
2. Tap on your profile, then select ‘Register your cellphone number for PayShap now!’
3. Read the information, then tap ‘Register now’
4. Your cellphone number will be prepopulated with the number on your banking profile
5. Enter your Known-as name
6. Select an account to link to your ShapID
7. Accept the terms and conditions
8. Confirm your preference to have Absa as your primary ShapID, i.e your payments will be automatically deposited into your Absa linked account. You do not have to share your bank (Absa) with the sender.
9. Confirm your details
10. Proxy successfully registered
11. Tap ‘Share’ to send your ShapID with your friends and family, or tap ‘Done’ to return to the home screen
- When making a payment, you will be given the option to make an instant payment.
- Look out for the PayShap sign.
- You can make payments to individuals and businesses.
- Payments will reflect instantly.
Frequently asked questions
The payment will reflect in the recipient’s account instantly.
Up to R3 000 per transaction.
Note: Individual account or profile limits apply.
A ShapID is your registered PayShap identifier at your bank, i.e. your cellphone number and your bank name (e.g.0831234567@absa). You can share your ShapID with someone when you want to be paid easily and instantly without sharing your bank account details. Simply provide the payer with your ShapID and the funds will be paid into your Absa linked account.
During the ShapID registration process, you can select to make it your primary ShapID . This means that you do not need to share the bank name i.e Absa with the payer. All you need to do is share your primary ShapID and the money will be paid into your Absa linked bank account.
If you do not have a primary ShapID please inform the payer to select Absa when making a payment. This will ensure that the funds are paid into your Absa account.
Yes, PayShap is only offered to bank account holders.
Note: Both the payer and recipient’s banks need to be PayShap participants to facilitate PayShap transactions.
You can pay anyone using PayShap, provided that they bank with one of the PayShap participating banks.
No, PayShap is only for domestic payments.
You can do as many PayShap transactions as you want, subject to your digital profile limits.
Yes, if the store accepts payment for goods or services via PayShap.
The feature to save ShapIDs as a beneficiary will be coming soon.
PayShap can only be done on the Banking App, hence you will need a smartphone to perform a PayShap transaction.
No. The cellphone number that you can register as your ShapID, is the number on your banking profile.
You can use your personal transactional accounts.
No. You can make PayShap payments using bank account details. If you want to make the process easier and quicker, you can register a ShapID.