Always check your surroundings before you use an ATM. See something or someone suspicious for any reason? Leave immediately – don’t use the machine.
Check for anti-skimming technology
When you put your card into an Absa ATM, it should insert very slowly. This is because our machines are fitted with anti-card skimming software, which sends a disruptive signal to any illegal skimming device stopping it from copying the data on your card.
More tips to stay safe at an ATM
- Memorise your PIN.
- If you think the ATM is not working, cancel your transaction immediately.
- When you enter your PIN, cover the keypad so that no one sees you.
- If you need help, go into a branch – never ask someone to help you.
- Make sure that you get your card back and check that it is your card.
- If your card is jammed or someone disturbs you at the ATM, call the Absa Stop Card Line on 011 501 5050 or 0800 11 11 55