Whether it’s for taxi fares, tips or small purchases as you go about your journey, it’s always a good idea to have the right currency with you as you travel. Come to Absa to get foreign bank notes for your next trip.
What you need to know
- Foreign currency for travel purposes may not be bought more than 60 days prior to your departure.
- When you return from your trip, any unused currency must be re-sold and this can be done at an Absa foreign exchange branch.
- Only carry small denominations of notes with you so as not to attract attention when paying.
- Don’t buy currency on the black market – it is illegal in most countries.
- Always check your change and keep an eye out for counterfeit notes.
- If you deal with ‘soft’ currencies (like those in some Eastern European and most African countries), remember that bank notes will be difficult to exchange outside that country. Rather spend the cash, or convert it to a major currency like the US dollar before you depart.
Want to find out more? Read about banking security while travelling internationally.