Whether it’s for taxi fares, tips or small purchases as you go about your journey, it’s always a good idea to have the right currency with you as you travel. Come to Absa to get foreign banknotes for your next trip.
- Cash is the most accepted form of payment anywhere
- We offer all major currencies
- Choose from a selection of denominations suited to your individual travel needs
- Cash for the smaller items on your trip
- Valid ID
- Air ticket or eTicket in your name
If you are travelling to countries that are not in the common monetary area, you will need to provide your ID and your vehicle’s registration certificate.
- Foreign currency for travel purposes may not be bought more than 60 days prior to your departure.
- When you return from your trip, any unused currency must be re-sold and this can be done at an Absa foreign exchange branch.
- Only carry small denominations of notes with you so as not to attract attention when paying.
- Don’t buy currency on the black market — it is illegal in most countries.
- Always check your change and keep an eye out for counterfeit notes.
- If you deal with ‘soft’ currencies (like those in some Eastern European and most African countries), remember that bank notes will be difficult to exchange outside that country. Rather spend the cash, or convert it to a major currency like the US dollar before you depart.
Want to find out more? Read about banking security while travelling internationally.