Buying a home can be a long, difficult process and scary too! But, don’t let that put you off. We’ve put together a guide to help you understand what you need to do, what you can expect and how to do it. Now you can easily get the home you need without blowing your budget.
Before you buy
Making an offer
When you find the home you want you will need to make an offer.
- Do some research on the prices of houses in the area – is the seller asking too much?
- Check out the market conditions – is it a good time to buy? Speak to an estate agent or property expert for advice
- Look at the size, features and condition of the property – will it need repairs or extensions?
- Read the offer to purchase carefully to understand what your rights and obligations are, before signing.
- Make a written offer with the amount you wish to pay, with all other conditions of your offer for the seller to consider.
- The estate agent will present this to the seller/’s or their representative.
- They will accept, reject or make you a counteroffer.
The offer to purchase will determine how much you will pay for the property, so make sure it suits your pocket and that you have considered all the associated costs.
- Check that the property description, purchase price and other details are correct.
- The offer must include all the conditions you agreed to.
- It should state the buyer’s date of occupation and the agreed occupational rent.
- It should state which fixtures and fittings are sold with the house.
- Remove any clause stating that the estate agent may deduct commission from the buyer’s deposit before registration and transfer of the property
- For properties with a value of less than R250 000 there is an automatic cooling off period of five working days, during which you can cancel your offer — the agreement should stipulate this to avoid misunderstanding.
- If you are unsure , always seek advice first before signing
Apply for your home loan
Moving into your new home
Read more related to this topic
Need more help or advice?
Let one of our property experts call you back.
Call us on:
E-mail us at:
General account enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home loan applications: email@example.com
Battling to make home loan repayments: firstname.lastname@example.org
Homeowners comprehensive insurance: email@example.com
Life insurance: firstname.lastname@example.org