Multi-Currency Cash Passport
An Absa Multi-Currency Cash Passport is a card preloaded with foreign currency and is a safe, easy and convenient way to take your spending money overseas. It can be preloaded with up to four currencies on a single card.
United States dollars - US dollars (USD)
Great British pounds - GB pounds (GBP)
Euros - euros (EUR)
Australian dollars - AU dollars (AUD)
Withdraw cash internationally
Absa was the first South African bank that joined the Global ATM Alliance and it allows our customers to use their debit cards to withdraw cash from any of our alliance partners’ ATMs at a reduced rate across the world.
- When planning your holiday, ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months after your return date.
- If you require a visa, make sure you apply in good time as the process at certain embassies can take a very long time.
- Remember to make copies of your passport, all flight/travel documents, bank cards and the purchase agreement for traveller's cheques in case of loss, theft or emergencies.
- Give your itinerary and contact numbers to family - just in case.
- Check the weather forecast for your destination before departure as temperatures and weather conditions may differ.
- When buying travel tickets with your Absa Credit Card, you automatically qualify for free basic Travel Insurance, but you can get a free quote to upgrade your insurance online or alternatively call us on 0860 151 151.
- When packing, remember that there are airline restrictions on hand luggage and the size of toiletries allowed on board.
When looking at exchange rates, keep the following in mind:
- Exchange rates change many times per day.
- Due to fluctuations, rates quoted on radio and television will probably not be the rates that you will receive.
- There is a difference between a ‘buy’ and a ‘sell’ rate; different products are also sold at different rates.
- All financial institutions offer different rates - speak to us for a competitive rate.
- You could buy or sell your currency on different days so you get the benefit of different exchange rates.
How we can assist you
South African residents who are taking up permanent residence outside the Common Monetary Area (South Africa, Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland) are regarded as emigrants. Absa can assist by ensuring the correct completion of all formalities with the complicated emigration regulations.
Exchange control regulations:
For exchange control purposes your South African bank account becomes subject to regulatory restrictions.
Your emigration should be formalised through one of our foreign exchange branches as follows:
- Complete a Form M.P.336(b) - Emigration: Application for foreign capital allowance. The form is available from the South African Reserve Bank website www.resbank.co.za
- Obtain an Emigration Tax Clearance Certificate (IT21 (a)) from the South African Revenue Service (SARS). Submit the Form M.P.336(b) and the Tax Clearance Certificate, if applicable, to one of our dedicated foreign exchange branches.
- You will also have to submit any other documentation as required on the Form M.P.336(b), which includes a copy of the permanent residence permit, if you have been granted permanent residence abroad.
Our travel checklist
Need more help?
Let one of our consultants assist you.
Call us on:
0860 151 151
+27 (0) 11 335 4019
Email us at: