More details about Western Union
- Easily track your transfers with unique money transfer control numbers (MTCN).
- Recipients can only collect their money with an MTCN number.
- Recipients must also produce positive identification in order to collect.
There are three ways to send money with us via Western Union:
- Use Absa Online: Select International payment from the payments tab.
- Use your Absa Banking App: Select International payment via the pay tab.
- Visit an Absa branch.
Please note that in certain countries, only the receive money service is available. Find out more here.
The following Western Union receive transactions are allowed:
- Foreign students studying in South Africa can receive funds from abroad. South African residents who are temporarily abroad can send their earnings. Monetary gifts received from abroad, other than to charitable, religious, cultural or educational organisations.
The following persons cannot use Western Union in South Africa:
- Foreign tourists receiving funds from abroad for their holiday or business visit to South Africa. Residents of Lesotho, Swaziland or Namibia. Non-residents are not allowed to send or receive funds from South Africa.