What is card skimming?
Card skimming is a type of fraud that occurs when information on your debit or credit card is stolen. Below are some safety measures that you can use to protect yourself when at an Absa ATM, and information on how Absa ensures that you are protected when making transactions.
How to prevent card skimming and what we’re doing to protect you
- Don’t share your card or PIN with anybody.
- Never keep a copy of your PIN with your card.
- Use your hand to cover the keypad whenever you enter your PIN.
- Be aware of your account activity: Activate our notification services (NotifyMe or use our Absa Banking App) so that you get alerted whenever there is a transaction on your account.
- Absa ATMs protect you against card skimming by using sophisticated technology when your card is being inserted into the machine.
- If there’s a card skimming device in the ATM, it will only be able to capture scrambled data, stopping your card from being copied. Please advise if we should keep this.
If you find any suspicious transactions on your accounts, report it to the Fraud Hotline immediately.
Fraud Hotline: 0860 557 557
Your card will immediately be blocked so that no more transactions can take place.
Other steps we may ask you to take:
- Change your PIN
- Cancel your card (we’ll issue a new one)
- Sign an affidavit or provide more information, depending on how your incident happened.
- We take your security seriously. Every fraud claim will be assessed and investigated individually with full consideration for its unique circumstances.
- Please be aware that if your claim involves a transaction where both your card and PIN are used together, it’s usually deemed authentic, so you may not be reimbursed.
- Never keep your PIN and card together. Be sure to memorise your PIN and cover the keypad with your hand whenever you enter it.
Need more help?
Please get in touch with us:
0860 557 557
+27 (0) 11 501 5089
3D Secure Call Centre
+27 (0) 11 354 4058