Travellers’ cheques are available in the major currencies of the world, in a variety of denominations, to suit your specific destination and needs.
Absa will provide you with American Express travellers’ cheques, which are readily accepted worldwide by banks, hotels and most commercial outlets.
What currency to take?
- The Euro is accepted in most European countries
- The British Pound for the United Kingdom
- Australian Dollars for Australia is the best option
- The Yen will be very convenient in Japan
- Use the US Dollar in the USA, Canada, South America, Africa, Russia and most of the Far East countries
Some benefits of travellers’ cheques are:
- In case of loss or theft, your travellers cheques may be refunded by the refund centre of American Express (terms and conditions do apply)
- Travellers cheques can be refunded within 24 hours, such refunds can be facilitated 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.
- Travellers cheques are valid for an unlimited period of time and never expire
- No commission is payable if your travellers cheques are cashed at selected fee-free outlets, we can advise you where these outlets are located
Did You Know?
Traveller’s cheques NEVER expire.
- You qualify for travellers cheques if you have a valid ID book, a passport, and a flight ticket or e-ticket in your name.
- Your journey must commence from South Africa
- If you are travelling to other countries which are not in the common monetary area by car, you must be in possession of an ID and your vehicle registration certificate.
- You will get a refund should your cheques get lost or stolen
- Traveller’s cheques can be refunded within 24 hours. The service is available 24 hours a day every day of the year.
- When you return from your trip, any unused travel cheques may be resold.