Need to know: Important Absa Online security information
Staying secure while banking online is vitally important to keep you and your money safe – which is why it is important for you to familiarise yourself with all of our security measures.
This is the bank account number you will use to access Absa Online. You can choose to use your Absa credit card, savings or cheque account number when you first register.
Your can choose to load more then one user to your Absa Online profile. So if you have a spouse that needs to have access to your accounts you can set them up with a different profile and be able to track each user’s activities independently.
As a default the main user is always number 1, the second number 2 and so on.
To set up extra users you will need to visit a branch with valid ID and your bank card.
A personal identification number (PIN) is an important number that you choose when registering for Absa Online. You will need to enter it every time you log on.
For your own security your Absa Online can be different from your normal bank card PIN that you use to draw money at an ATM. It can be between four or five digits and we recommend you change it regularly.
- If, however, you have forgotten or had your PIN revoked you will need to visit a branch with a valid ID and your bank card. For your security this is the only way to reset your PIN
- To avoid having your information being captured by key-loggers, enter the characters of your PIN with the on-screen virtual keypad, as opposed to typing them out using a keyboard
- You have three chances to enter your PIN. If you are unsuccessful on the last attempt Absa Online will lock you out
- If you would like to change your current Absa Online PIN you can do so under your Profile as long as it is still valid
Absa Online passwords are the second step in the logon process. You will be asked to enter part of your password every time you logon. Remember that you will never be asked to enter your whole password. We only require you enter three characters at a time.
You have three chances to enter your password. If you are unsuccessful on the last attempt Absa Online will lock you out.
To avoid having your information being captured by key-loggers, enter the characters of your password with the on-screen virtual keypad, as opposed to typing them out using a keyboard.
How do you change your password?
- If you are brand new to Absa Online and have just returned from the branch where your online limits were set, you will be requested to capture a new password
- If you would like to change your current password and it is still valid you will be able to change it online
- If, however, you have forgotten or had your password revoked you will need to visit a branch with a valid ID and your bank card. For your security this is the only way to reset your password
The main user is the owner of the profile on Absa Online. The main user has full control and access to all the functions and accounts linked to the profile.
An operator is any person assigned by the main user to perform only certain tasks on the main user’s behalf.
When you logon and perform certain transactions using Absa Online you will receive a security notification SMS from us. These SMSs will be sent to the cellphone number that we have registered for your bank account.
This is a standard service and as soon you register and begin using Absa Online you will start receiving these security notification SMSs. Our security notification SMS service ensures that you are aware of certain administrative electronic activity (such as logging on and transferring funds) that takes place on your Absa Online profile. The service is part of your monthly registration fees and no separate charges apply.
For your convenience you can also sign up to receive SMS notifications for transactional activities. To keep up-to-date and informed sign up or review your NotifyMe SMS service.
When will you receive a security notification SMS?
- When you log on to Absa Online
- When you add a new beneficiary or update a beneficiary’s details (SureCheck)
- When you make a once-off payment, a payment needs to be authorised or a payment is rejected
- When your profile is updated, or your PIN or password is changed
How do you update your cellphone number?
For security reasons, you will need to visit your nearest branch with a valid ID to update the cellphone number to which security notification SMS messages are sent.
You can update and change your NotifyMe details, by logging on to Absa Online.
In addition to SMS security notifications you will also receive SureCheck security alerts. A pop up will appear on your mobile phone, which you must check carefully before accepting or declining the transaction. The SureCheck message will be sent to the mobile phone number you registered. If you previously received RVN or TVN SMS messages your service was automatically upgraded to utilise the SureCheck service.
When will you receive a SureCheck?
- Just before you make the payment
- Create a new beneficiary
- Set up a recurring payment
- Add a new operator
- Change your notification details
- Update your daily limits
How do you change your SureCheck options?
For extra security you can only change your SureCheck security option at a branch. Be sure to bring a valid form of identification and your bank card.
An authorisation is the process where the main user approves financial transactions created by another main user or operator.
For your security and peace of mind, you can set limits on the amount of money that can be transferred between your accounts and paid out. These limits are daily limits and can be changed under your Absa Online Profile. Find out more about limits on Absa Online Payments.
- If you have logged on but there is no activity on your account for a period of six minutes, you will be automatically logged off
- During the last minute Absa Online will give you a warning and begin counting you down by informing you of how many seconds you have until you are logged off. You have the option to cancel the countdown and resume your online banking
- You can choose to log yourself off at any time by selecting the Log Out link in the top right hand corner. This will close your online banking session