Travelling overseas is an amazing experience, but always remember to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your belongings. There are also a number of important things regarding visas, passports and foreign exchange you need to be aware of, such as:
- When planning your holiday, ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months after your return date
- If you require a visa, make sure you apply in good time as the process at certain embassies can take a very long time
- Sign up for Absa Online and pay your bills electronically while overseas so you don’t come back to nasty surprises
- Remember to make copies of your passport, all flight/travel documents, bank cards and the purchase agreement for traveller’s cheques in case of loss, theft or emergencies
- Give your itinerary and contact numbers to family – just in case
- Check the weather forecast for your destination before departure as temperatures and weather conditions may differ.
- When buying travel tickets with your Absa Credit Card, you automatically qualify for free basic Travel Insurance, but you can get a free quote to upgrade your insurance online or alternatively call us on 0860 151 151
- When packing, remember that there are airline restrictions on hand luggage and the size of toiletries allowed on board
- When looking at exchange rates, keep the following in mind:
- Exchange rates change many times per day
- Due to fluctuations, rates quoted on radio and television will probably not be the rates that you will receive
- There is a difference between a ‘buy’ and a ‘sell’ rate; different products are also sold at different rates
- All financial institutions offer different rates, speak to us for a competitive rate.
- If the exchange rate is in your favour, why not buy early?
- You could also buy/sell your currency on different days so you get the benefit of different exchange rates